Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Did you ever wonder which country has the most visitors?

Did you ever wonder which country has the most visitors?

By David McClelland

I see so many foreign tourists here that I had assumed that the United Sates (US) got more visitors than other countries. My research revealed that I was incorrect. The most recent tourist figures are for 2009 when France had the most visitors, about 74 million. The US was 2nd with almost 55 million. Spain was 3rd with just over 52 million and China was 4th with almost 51 million.

To round out the top ten countries that attract tourists: Italy was 5th with 43 million, the United Kingdom 6th with 28 million, Turkey 7th with 25 million, Germany 8th with 24 million, Malaysia 9th with 23.6 million and Mexico 10th with 21.5 million.

In just the top ten tourist countries, visitors totaled over 397 million in 2009. In France, the Eiffel Tower in Paris is its most famous sight and the largest tourist attraction.

I found several of the countries in the top ten to be surprising. I know that China is attracting more and more attention each year, but to learn that Turkey was the 7th most visited and that Malaysia was 9th, were unexpected. I also thought that Canada would make the Top 10 list. Were there any surprises in the Top 10 List for you? 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home