Saturday, May 29, 2010

Did you ever wonder which books, written in English, are the longest?

Did you ever wonder which books, written in English, are the longest ever written?

By David McClelland

I was re-reading one of my favorite books, "Atlas Shrugged," by Ayn Rand, which I thought was long and remembered some other long books that I have read including: "The Stand" by Stephen King and "Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo.

Then, I wondered about the really long books and which are the longest. When I began to research this subject, I found that I first had to determine what criteria should be used to decide. One could base it on word count or page count. I decided that word count was the more appropriate indicator.

Based upon word count, the longest books ever written in English in order are:

Rank Words Title Author

1 17 million "Marienbad My Love" Mark Leach
2 11.3 million "The Blah Story" Nigel Tomm
3 9 million "The Story of the Vivian Girls" Henry Darger
4 2.2 million "Trial by Tenderness" Cevn McGuire
5 1.2 million "Mission Earth" L. Ron Hubbard
6 1.1 million "Sironia, Texas" Madison Cooper

12 645,000 "Atlas Shrugged" Ayn Rand
14 560,000 "War and Peace" Leo Tolstoy
15 513,000 "Les Miserables" Victor Hugo

I thought the books I remembered were long, but they pale by comparison to the others, especially the longest three. Care to take a few months and read one of those?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home